Saturday, September 17, 2011

Craft: Recycled Rubber Ruler Earbud Holder

I have these rubbery rulers (like this).  I hate them.  They bend up and make lines uneven.  They disgust the perfectionist in me.  They do not please the artist in me with their unique lines because many times I need to make a straight line.  These rulers just DON'T work for what I want and need them for.  I'm a big girl; I don't need rubbery rulers!

So one night I somehow found earbud holders, oo-ed and ah-ed, and wanted some for my many earbuds.

Pluggd's Design

I noticed they had an hourglass shape.  I figured I could make a pair out of some hard flat plastic.  I looked around and couldn't find anything, then I remembered my rubbery rulers that I hate.  So I chopped on them awhile until I got a style I was mostly happy with.




My Design
The earbud holder turned out to be a little over 3 inches long.  It has two indentions to wrap the cord around. The top and bottom have the shape T cut into them, which creates a niche that does a decent job of holding the each end of the cord.  I tried cutting a straight line for the niches and that style did not work at all. I imagine using a hole-punch on both ends and snipping a straight line from the end into the hole would work best (like Pluggd's design).  Overall, my creation does its job.

Unpluggd's DIY earbud holders from credit cards or gift cards (Walmart gas cards!) is more like the design I'm thinking of.  Changing the material and adding indentions for the cord to wrap around adds more character to the earbud holders.  I will make another attempt when I find my hole-punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment